Thursday, August 22, 2013

Collecting Collections



Most of people collect something. Whether it be teacups or tractors, whatever the collection, the interesting questiont is why? Is it something that is reminiscent of your childhood? Is it something beautiful? Is it unique or interesting? Is the collection on display or stored in a box?

You would be surprised at how many people collection things, yet don't showcase their collections. Cookbooks and heirloom recipes are often stored in kitchen cabinets. Travel souvenier are tucked away. Or the collection is display in a museum like quality and never fully enojyed, like grandma's china is stored in the hutch and never used.
 
(Story Time.)
 
I love photography and all that it entails, so I collect vintage cameras. My love of photography started the summer I turned twelve. While on a family vacation,  my grandparents took us to a flea market.  My grandfather bought me a unicycle and a used 35mm camera. I never quite picked up the knack for riding the a bike with one wheel, but I loved taking photographs.
 
I have collected many other items over my lifetime; shot glasses, matchbooks, postcards - to name a few, but vintage camera's are the one collection which I feel an emotionally tie. I purged the rest of my collections over the yeas and decided to focus on the one collection with sentimental value. My 21 year old daughter now has the shot glass collection, the house. Its been a nice experience to purge and condense my collections.
 
(Ready to purge?)
 
Do you have a collection that is taking over? Are you ready to purge and declutter? Think about the following questions and take time to honestly answer each one.
  • How many collections do you have? Which is you favorite?
  • Does it have sentimental value?
  • Is your collection on displayed or stored away?
  • Does your collection mesh with your decorating style? 
(Quality, not Quantity.)
 
If you have a large collection or multiple collections, its time for an intervention. You will never have the largest collection in the world, so why are you trying? The first step is admitting you my have a problem. The next step is to transform your collection. 
  • Focus on one collection, your favorite.
  • If you have many collections, purge.
  • Donate, pass down to the next generation or sell excess items.
  • Display your collection creatively for all to enjoy!
  • If any part of your collection is stored, purge.

(Function.)

Allow your collection to become a functional collection. Utilize your collection as decor. Merge it into your decorating by creatively displaying favorite items. Look for ideas on Pinterest and in magazines. A few favorites:
  • Make a mini library in your kitchen with cookbook collection.
    Loan them to neighbors and friends. Frame family recipes to hang in the kitchen.

  • Hang items from your collection on a wall to make a statement.
    (i.e.: postcards, greeting cards, travel brochures, maps, golf score cards, thank you notes)

  • Use an apothecary jar to show off smaller items.
    (i.e.: buttons, jewelry, sewing kits, thimbles, golf balls, coins)
  •  

    (A collection should meaningful and spread happiness.)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment