Monday, August 26, 2013

Little Blue Houses

 
At an auction last weekend, I acquired a KLM Delft House collection. As I was scouring the hay racks deciding what to bid on, I spotted four shoe boxes full of cute little ceramic houses. They reminded me of the adorable row houses I saw during a vacation to Amsterdam. It was instant love. I had never seen anything this charming, but looking at the quantity and detailing, I knew they must be collectible - and hopefully valuable.
 
Before the auction started, I researched prices for the KLM Delft Houses on both etsy and ebay. I was amazed to discover the average asking price for these little gems were $18 each house. Wow! I estimated there were approximately 40 of these house in the four boxes. At that moment, I was determined to win this lot.
 
Patiently I waited for this treasure to come up for auction. About an hour into the auction, my item was up for bid. I jumped in and held my ground against the other competitors. Without backing down, I won my prized items in the end. It was a successful day at the auction.
 
I truly believe you you should display items you love around your house. I kept six of my favorite houses and have listed the remaining collection on Kismet Junk on Etsy for the bargain price of $8 each. I am confident at this price, they won't last long.
 
(A History Lesson.)
 
 
Since the 1950s, KLM Airlines gave every business class passenger with a miniature Dutch house, filled with Genever, Dutch gin distilled by Bols Distilleries. Each KLM Blue Delft Miniature Houses is inspired by an existing home in Deft, Holland and along the canals in Amsterdam. Every year in October a new house is added to the collection. Each house is numbered and currently there are 93 miniatures available to collect.
 
From 1952 these houses are given present to passengers on board of every and all KLM Intercontinental flights in the business class. Each passenger baby or grown up, paying or non paying one house. These original Delft Blue miniature houses are real copies of the gable houses alongside the canals in Amsterdam and from time to time for a change also from other historical towns in Holland.The largest collection of KLM houses is on display in Amstelveen, Holland - if you are ever in the neighborhood.

(Collecting a Collection.)
 
 
Over the years, our miniature houses have become desirable collectors' items, generating a lively trade among passengers. These little houses are sought out, purchased, collected and displayed with pride. There is even a KLM Delft House app available for iPhone and Androids. Personally, I chose to only have 6 houses on a shelf in my house, while other collectors strive to own all 93 houses.
 
Start your own collection of KLM Delft Houses with Kismet Junk on Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment