Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Planning Ahead


My childhood memories are littered with hot glue and glitter and paste. I grew up in a creative household, with projects often taking over the kitchen table.  My father is a writer, photographer and painter, and my mom is a writer, crafter and collector. There's no question about how I turned out the way I did.

In the late 70's and early 80's, cross stitching was cool. My mom and my aunt's would spend their free time making intricate projects. I watched with admiration, as images seem to suddenly appear. Sewing has never been my forte. I knew I was creative, but searched for a medium in which would enable me to fully express my creativity.  

From as early as I can remember, I have been repurposing jewelry. I have always taken necklaces apart, combining different elements from each piece to form new jewelry. It was fun and I thought everyone did this. In eighth grade, my mom gave me permission to destroy an old telephone, and I used the wires and parts to make earrings. (Steam punk before it was cool!) Even as an adult, I would always repair my own jewelry, often changing up necklaces by combining charms and pendants from various pieces. 

It wasn't until recently that I realized "Maybe I could make money doing this." I was searching for a pair of small silver earrings to wear everyday. Unable to find the perfect pair, I made them. Immediately I received compliments on the earrings, inspiring me to create more. 

Fast forward a few months, and my jewelry is featured in Lonnie's Art Gallery, I have a World Tour scheduled for the upcoming market season, and now, this weekend, will be for sale at West Elm in Chicago. (Yes, West Elm!!)

Thankfully, a few months ago, I decided to plan ahead. Often I wing it and allow the project to determine the results. This was too important to me. I set a goal to have a set number of earrings, bracelets and necklaces completed by the beginning Market Season. (see 2014 World Tour). There were times when I had to reassure my husband, Erik, that I did in fact have a plan and that I wasn't simply hoarding.

Well, my plan has paid off.

When the call came in Monday that Kismet Junk jewelry was invited to participate in the event at West Elm in Lincoln Park, I was giddy. I couldn't sleep the past two nights and still, with a lack of sleep, am overly energetic today. 

I sat down at my work table, with my coffee, trying to think of what I needed to do in preparation for this upcoming event. I've decided my planning has paid off, because I realized I already have a complete inventory line ready to go!

Instead of scrambling to be ready, I will be spending this week creating a few more pieces - solely because I am so excited! I thoroughly enjoy making Kismet Junk jewelry, expressing my creativity and am looking forward to others enjoying the jewelry as much as I do!

- Stacey




Written by Stacey Olson
Featured Contributor

1 comment: