Monday, October 7, 2013

Velma's Jewelry

When I was little, I remember going to visit my Grandmother, Velma. She was a petite red head, only 4feet, 8inches tall, and she baked the best homemade cinnamon rolls I have ever had, still to this day. Everyone said Velma was soft spoken and and kind. The thing I remember most about my grandma was how she looked. Whether on her way to square dancing or simply working around her garden, she would apply bright red lipstick and adorn herself with bright, colorful beaded jewelry.
 
When I would visit, grandma would set aside a bowl full of necklaces, clip on earrings and empty make-up jars on a dressing table for me to play with. I remember putting all those treasures in her old black purse and walking into the living room, wearing her high heels. I would pretend to be the Avon lady and ask each adult if they wanted to buy anything from inside my bag.

I associate my love jewelry, and make-up, and let's face it... playing dress up, to Velma. About 12 years ago, my grandmother passed away. After the funeral, the family was sitting around my grandma's house, telling stories and sharing memories. When I shared this story, my aunt left the room and returned with a bag full of grandma's costume jewelry. I treasure these necklaces, earrings and broaches to this day. Looking at the plastic jewelry instantly makes me feel 5 years again, and reminds of my Grandma.


 

Years later, I still have all that old jewelry. Even though none of it is real, I think its beautiful, sparkly and needs to be a part of my every day life. I think if I applied bright red lipstick and wore grandma's necklaces, my husband would think I had finally lost it! So instead, I have decided to think of ways to incorporate Grandma's jewelry into my decorating.
 

Earrings and Broaches
 
I framed one of my favorite broaches and display it as if it were a piece of artwork. Using an old frame, I took out the glass, covered the cardboard backing in an old encyclopedia page and then stuck Grandma's pin into the cardboard. I applied a touch of glue to keep it in place. This would be beautiful to hang within a mix of family photos and mementos. Something similar could be done with a pair of clip on earrings too.  A family photo or newspaper clipping would also make a nice background image.

 
 
 


Necklaces and Rings
 
I gathered up all my grandmothers remaining jewelry: rings, necklaces, pins and earrings. and placed them all in an apothecary jar. This is be a heartfelt touch for a powder room or a make-up table, and it could even serve as a cute way to decorate your walk-in closet. I have a friend who put her grandmother's engagement ring and wedding ring in a terrarium. Any idea is a good one. Family jewelry can serve as a daily reminder of where you come from and who you want to be!






It doesn't do any good to store old jewelry in boxes or a drawer. Display it. I always say use the good dishes. Don't save the good China, serve ice cream on the it! This is similar! Show off grandma's jewelry! Vintage is in. You may even find a few pieces you would actually wear!

No comments:

Post a Comment